Wednesday, October 9, 2013

M.A.S.K.: The Complete Series



Not Quite Complete, But Contains The Best (And Biggest) Season Of M.A.S.K.!
Combining elements from other popular '80s animated classics G.I. Joe and Transformers, heroic Matt Trakker's Mobile Armored Strike Kommand (M.A.S.K.) worked overtime, fighting crime against villainous Miles Mayhem's Vicious Evil Network Of Mayhem (V.E.N.O.M.) for two first-run syndicated seasons from 1985-1986, with a total count of 75 episodes. Fans of the original 65-episode series (Season 1) where M.A.S.K. and V.E.N.O.M. engaged in G.I. Joe-esque warfare were baffled by the show's retooled format change to a short-lived 10-episode "racing series" (Season 2). Due to the varying formats (hence Shout! Factory's "Complete Series" title), the 10 episodes that comprise the second season "racing series" of M.A.S.K. are not included in this set.

M.A.S.K. - The "Complete" Series is a 12-DVD collection which contains all 65 episodes from...

M.A.S.K. ... All in all, well worth the money.
M.A.S.K. was a cartoon that I loved as a child, and I am extremely pleased to finally see the series get a proper release on DVD in the United States. Although it isn't perfect, this 12 disc set is far superior to the imported "bootleg" versions of the series available over the years. The packaging of this set is near flawless; two amaray cases (with six DVDs each) housed in a beautiful full color slip case. The actual video and audio presentation of the series, however, is less than what I had hoped for. If you are a videophile, like I am, be aware that there are many lines, scratches, pops, and color inconsistencies present in the video transfer. For a cartoon produced in the 80s, this is quite a common problem; however, I wish that Shout Factory had spent more time digitally remastering the series from the original print. Like previously stated, however, it's still a far better print than any I have previously seen. All in all, I am pleased with this release and think others...

When Cartoons Were Special
Watching these old toon's really takes me back! I remember running home after school to watch these. Man! there is nothing like these shows any more. Some of the stuff they came up with as far as the cars were just the coolest! My fav was Rhino. These cartoons are a rare mix of good story telling + good artwork that is just gone today. The stuff that they come out with now is just garbage and poorly produced retreads that is just sad. My only gripe is there are no captions or subtitles on any of the shout! factory dvds, G.I. Joe & Tranformers at least. Being almost deaf I really need them to follow the stories. Even without the captions, they are worth the money just to get caught up in them one more time. It's really cool that shout! factory is bringing these old shows back, I just hope they can get "Centurions" some time soon!

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment