Thursday, October 10, 2013

Stargate Atlantis: The Complete Series [Blu-ray]



Good series, terrible packaging
So I like the series, and I'm enjoying it right now. The problem I have was with the packaging. If you bought the complete SG-1 series, it came in two large foldout cases of something to the effect of glossy cardboard. Roughly 3 of the disks were damaged and some episodes wouldn't play. You can see a lot of message boards talking of similar problems.
The Atlantis set takes the poor planning a step further. It is broken up by season, but uses the same glossy paper, and now a hard gel-ish holder for the middle of the disc which is both unnecessary and annoying. I don't know if any of the discs are damaged yet, but if I leave them in the current case, they likely will become as such soon.

Save yourself A LOT of headache and buy a CD/DVD case at the same time.

Horrible Manufacturing of DVD's
I had already seen most of the TV series, it's great, no complains on it. I'm a huge SG fan and have the full 10 season SG-1 set as well, in addition to the DVD release movies.

The disks are in bad shape, I noticed scratches on some but they played fine. Got to 3rd disk, and it had defects so bad it was unwatchable. I'm in the process of sending it back now, hope my replacement is in better shape but I don't have my hopes up.

Packaging looks nice, but as others mentioned it's not handy for using the disks, the gel center holders make it hard to get the disks in and out.

I'll edit in any further issues I come across, hopefully the replacement will be better. Quality control utterly failed somewhere in the manufacturing process of these disks. I heard similar complains about my SG-1 disk set, but the one I got was fine, maybe eventually I will get a second run of sets with better quality standards eventually.

EDIT: Got replacement set, these...

The show is amazing... this set is not.
EDIT: This review is for the DVD version of this set only, NOT the Bluray version. I've heard that the Bluray version is much better.

Before I begin I would like to point out that this review and star rating is for this set and its packaging ONLY. The show itself is great and would get a 7 out of 5 stars from me, but before your mouth starts watering over the "Collector's Edition", hear me out.

Pros: The outside package and photos used are nice and add something you wouldn't get by buying the seasons individually. The episodes "Vegas" and "Enemy at the Gate" come in both the extended versions and broadcast versions. There is a bonus disc that has two featurettes that come only with this Complete Series set.

Cons: Where do I begin? I was appalled to find some of the discs were scratched and has smudges on them (most notably the season one discs and the bonus disc). One disc had errors, even though there were no apparent scratches on it. The 26...

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment