Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Star Wars: The Clone Wars - The Complete Season One (Repackage)



Blu-Ray Glory with Exclusive Bonus Features!
Don't bad on me for posting a review before the product is released. Amazon is so bad at informing of bonus features I thought some might want to know what this Blu-Ray (or DVD) set will include.

This is from the press release (which also notes the release date as 3 Nov.):

Star Wars: The Clone Wars The Complete Season One is presented in widescreen with English, Spanish and French 5.1 DTS audio and English, French and Spanish subtitles.

Bonus features include:

* Seven Director's Cut Episodes: Rising Malevolence, Shadow of Malevolence, Lair of Grievous, Rookies, Storm Over Ryloth, Innocents of Ryloth and Liberty on Ryloth

* 22 Episodic Featurettes that go behind-the-scenes with Supervising Director Dave Filoni and crew about the making-of each episode

* Spectacular 64-page production journal that includes early sketches, artist notes, and concept art from each episode from Season One

* Blu-ray Exclusive -- The...

5 stars for series, -2 stars for a higher priced downgrade in packaging
So, the original releases of Clone Wars Seasons 1 & 2 came in nice DigiBook packaging which included concept art in a book inside the hard cover book that held the 3 discs. Something that made these releases unique. So now, Season 3 comes out in a standard 3-disc Blu-ray case, so in order to prepare for this change in packaging, WB re-releases the first two seasons in standard cases as well apparently back in September about a month before Season 3 comes out. But here's the kicker. The digibooks ran around $40 new on or around release day, and now the prices on these re-releases are over $50. What's up with that? Downgrade in packaging and you jack up the price? These should be discount releases. $20-25 max. The only justification for the increase in price would be if these include DTS-MA HD sound over the original 640 Kbps DD tracks. But that's stretching it. Anybody got any actual specs for these?

The Star Wars saga continues, in an unexpected way
When I heard that they were releasing a Star Wars "cartoon" in the Movie theaters, I scoffed. I have seen the movies dozens of times and still remember seeing the original at the drive in (!) in 1977 all summer long. I've read all the best Star Wars books (*cough*TimothyZahn*cough*), played most of the games, have all the music on my ipod and saw Episode III at midnight. Yea, I'm a fan. Episode 1 and 2 didn't do it for me, but EP3 brought Lucas back into my good graces.

Despite being a hard core fan, I refused to see a Star Wars cartoon in a movie theater. Rubbish! I declared. How can Star Wars be a blocky cartoon?

That was a mistake. When I finally got the movie on DVD, it was fantastic. When this show came out on Cartoon Network, finally, for the first time in YEARS I had a Sci Fi show that I actually looked forward to watching each week. Yes, its a cartoon. Yes, I would prefer a live action show or another movie, but I know that is later and never...

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment